Although at the moment, summer is a long way off, preparing for the time of year when your air conditioner is used the most is something you should do well in advance. The last thing you would want to happen is that on the very first day of summer, you find that the air conditioner isn’t operating properly. With all this in mind, the following post will give you a list of handy and very easy to follow maintenance tips that you will help you to prepare your air conditioner for those warmer months during summer.
Replace The Unit’s Filter
The very first thing you need to do before the summer months come around is change the air conditioning unit’s filter. Filters attract a lot of dust and debris and this can clog them during them months they aren’t used as much. In order to keep your air conditioner working as well as it can, it is advised that you change the filter at least once a month to avoid unwanted blockages from occurring.
Furthermore, it is important to note that if you or anyone in your household suffers from any allergies that you should schedule filter changes to keep dust levels at the absolute minimum.
Thoroughly Clean The Unit
Another way you can improve the overall efficiency and avoid expensive repair costs is by regularly cleaning your air conditioner thoroughly. As air conditioners are generally located outside buildings, they require careful cleaning as they can suffer issues related to extreme weather conditions.
Before you begin, make sure you turn the air conditioner off, then:
• Clear any debris such as bushes, twigs and weeds and dirt from around the actual unit.
• Then use a screwdriver to remove the protective covers. Working from the outside to begin with, clean the condenser coils gently using a vacuum with a soft bristled brush attachment, being careful to avoid damaging the coils. Move on to the inside of the unit after you have finished the outside.
• Next, use a commercial coil cleaner and spray the covers gently from the inside of the unit, being sure to avoid touching any of the electrical parts or the fan.
• Now, use a no pressure or low pressure spray setting on your hose to pray the coils and covers with water to clear away any built-up dirt dust and leaves. Pro tip – cover any electrical parts including the fan motor with plastic bags to prevent them getting wet.
• While you are cleaning the unit you could use this as an opportunity to clear any debris that has collected at the bottom too.
• Once you have completely cleaned the unit, re-attach the covers securely back onto the unit.
Inspect The Coolant Pipework
In order for your air conditioner to run efficiently, the refrigerant coolant pipework should be properly insulated. Therefore, any missing or frayed and torn insulation should be replaced as soon as possible using foam insulation sleeves and tape.
Avail Yourself Of Professional Maintenance
Your air conditioning unit can be damaged considerably if it is improperly maintained. With this in mind it is important, to avoid your unit needing to be replaced fully, that if you are not confident about carrying out any maintenance yourself, you should contact experts. ADK.co.uk are based in the Wembley area of London and serve the immediate and surrounding postcodes. If you need help maintaining your air conditioner or suspect it may need to be repaired, get in contact with ADK Kooling today.